Mori Gyaru is a substyle of both gyaru and mori girl, and incorporates aspects of both styles. It is often confused with or overlaps with Bohemian Gyaru and Hime Gyaru. In fact, many Mori Gyaru outfits actually pass for, or are actually, other substyles. What sets the substyle apart is simply its naming and acceptance by the Mori community internationally.
The Name[edit | edit source]
Mori Gyaru has been called by many names. The original term, 森ギャル was coined in Popteen by Yui Kanno.  The term moru (盛る) was also used by Rin from Ageha.  The term was mainly accepted by International communities, however, as it faded into obscurity in the gal scene. 
The Style[edit | edit source]
Mori gyaru focuses on a natural twist to the traditional gyaru style. It incorporates the silhouette of gyaru with many of the natural fashion aspects of mori kei.
Mori gyaru's color schemes are natural tones, such as cream, light floral colors such as pink and blues, and browns. Clothing items are often draping and layered, with less of a focus on a sexy silhouette. Common materials are lace and cotton. Mori gyaru also includes lots of florals and ginghams.
Mori gyaru may have some traditional aspects of gyaru, but often tones them down. For instance, mori gyaru may have bigger hair styles, but they have more natural styles such as light waves and curls, or braids. Another example is the use of makeup in mori gyaru, but much less extreme than typical gyaru, and much more makeup used than mori kei's minimal makeup style. 
Gallery[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- "Trendwatching: Mori Gyaru." Universal Doll. April 2, 2010. Retrieved September 13, 2020 from https://web.archive.org/web/20190326213400/https://universal-doll.com/2010/04/trendwatching-mori-gyaru/
- "The Top 10 Meme from Ageha & Mitsu's Top 10." Universal Doll. March 18, 2010. Retrieved September 13, 2020 from https://web.archive.org/web/20160405172257/http://universal-doll.com/2010/03/the-top-10-meme-from-ageha-mitsus-top-10/
- "Almost Mori: What is Mori Gyaru?" I don't know much, but I'm learning. July 2, 2019. Retrieved August 26, 2020 from https://idontknowmuchbutimlearning.blogspot.com/2019/07/almost-mori-what-is-mori-gyaru.html
- "Mori Substyle; The Mori Gyaru." Berry Drop in the Forest. March 18, 2015. Retrieved August 26, 2020 from https://berrydroplife.blogspot.com/2015/03/mori-substyle-mori-gyaru.html
- "Trend Watching: Mori Gyaru." Universal Doll. April 2010. Retrieved September 11, 2020 from https://web.archive.org/web/20190326213400/https://universal-doll.com/2010/04/trendwatching-mori-gyaru/