The History[edit | edit source]
Unlike other Japanese fashion substyles that were created in Japan, dark mori was created and worn almost entirely by international adherents to the style. However, the style would not exist without mori kei, as it pulls directly from the main aspects of the style, only changing its color palette.
Dark mori was never really seen in Harajuku or on Japanese mori forums. In fact, the style was most likely created by tumblr user shortcuttothestars, although its exact origins cannot be confirmed. The international community sought to create a darker version of the lighter style, as many fashion styles, such as Lolita and Decora, often did in Japan. The substyle remains active in international communities until this day.
The Fashion[edit | edit source]
The style is almost identical to traditional mori kei, save for its darker color scheme. It features primarily black and grey outifts, although colors such as dark blues, dark reds, dark browns, and white are also used.
The style contains the classic features of mori kei, such as layering, use of natural fabrics, and lace. It is often confused with the western style of Strega, a dark witchy style, due to some similarities. However, while dark mori could fall under the category of Strega, the style of Strega is much broader and contains many non-mori elements, setting the two styles apart.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- "The Dark Arts: Black Forest Mori." Milk Teeth. February 21, 2012. Retrieved September 12, 2020 from http://x-milkteeth.blogspot.com/2012/02/dark-arts-black-forest-mori.html
- "Style Inspiration: Black Forest Mori." Crow Faery Laura. March 4, 2014. Retrieved September 12, 2020 from https://rosesandvellum.blogspot.com/2014/03/style-inspiration-black-forest-mori.html
- "Witch from the Woods: Dark Mori Style." Carnivale Salt. October 7, 2012. Retrieved September 12, 2020 from https://carnivalesalt.blogspot.com/2012/10/witch-from-woods-dark-mori-style.html
- "Mori Kei Sister Styles Series: Dark Mori." Dear Miss Kellie. April 11, 2014. Retrieved September 12, 2020 from http://dearmisskellie.blogspot.com/2014/04/mori-kei-sister-styles-series-dark-mori.html
- The Substyles Mini-Series: Dark Mori." idontknowmuchbutimlearning. August 20, 2019. Retrieved September 12, 2020 from https://idontknowmuchbutimlearning.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-substyles-mini-series-dark-mori.html
|Previous in A-Z||Next in A-Z|